of Dr. Kalin Mikhaylov
Date and place of birth:
12.04.1966, Sofia ( Bulgaria)
EMPLOYMENT AND SCIENTIFIC STATUS :
Since 2001 – Assistant-Professor of West European Literature at the Faculty of Slavic Philology, Department of Literary Theory and West European Literatures, Sofia University (Bulgaria)
EDUCATION & DEGREES:
- 2000: Graduation. Degree: Doctor (=PhD).
- March 1996 - October 1999: Graduate studies with Ass. Prof. Dr. M. Nikolchina ( Department of Literary Theory and West European Literatures, Faculty of Slavic Philology, Sofia University, Bulgaria). Thesis: On the Poetics of the French Novel between the two World Wars: the Conceptions of Violence in the Novels of Francois Mauriac and Georges Bernanos.
- 1992: M.A., Bulgarian language and literature / French language and literature, Sofia University.
SPECIALIZATIONS & SCHOLARSHIPS & LANGUAGE SOJOURNS
- August 2002 – September 2003: German language immersion ( Passau, Germany)
- 1996 - 1999: State Doctoral Fellowship for graduate studies at the Sofia University.
- Nov. 1993 - June 1994: Katzarov Scholarship of the University of Geneva awarded for research on the topic “Theology and Literature” at the University of Fribourg ( Switzerland). Host: Prof. Dr. Jean Brantschen.
- May - August 1991: French language immersion: internship in Soisy-sur-Seine ( France).
- March 2000 – April 2001: Researcher at the Department of Comparative Literature at the Institute of Literary Studies of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences ( Sofia).
- 1995 - 2000 : Part-time Sessional Instructor of West European Literature at the Faculty of Slavic Philology at the Sofia University “Saint Climent of Ochrid”.
- 1995 - 1996: Librarian at the National College for Ancient Languages and Cultures ( Sofia).
- 1994 - 1995 : I nstructor of French at the National College for Ancient Languages and Cultures (Sofia).
- 1992 - 1993: Schoolteacher of French (grades 5 and 6).
- 1998: publication of a collection of poems.
- 1991: publication of a collection of poems.
- Since 1991 until present time: translation from French into Bulgarian of poetry (J. Prevert, G. Norge, Ch. Beaudelaire, P. Caludel) and scholarly texts (A. Vuillemin, P. Ricoeur, T. Todorov).
- Since 1989 until present time: publication of articles and essays in the Bulgarian periodical press
- Since 1979 until present time: publication of poems in Bulgarian literary magazines
- Since 1995 until present time: participation in radio programmes
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
- History of literature and culture; Christianity and literature; Comparative Literary Studies
MAJOR RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Moriak i Bernanos: dva romanni svjata mezdu nasilieto i ljubovta [Mauriac and Bernanos: Two Fictional Worlds between Violence and Love]. Sofia University Press, 2005 (forthcoming), 300 p.
- La (re)construction de l’identite orthodoxe dans la critique bulgare sur Dostoievski. - „Traditionnel“, Identite, Modernite dans les cultures du Sud-Est Europeen. Actes du colloque international de Sofia, 01-02.10.2004 (forthcoming), 15 p.
- A Narrative Christological Model (Stories of Conversion) in V. Hugo’s Novel “Les Miserables” - “Vecnite strasti balgarski. Pocit kam T. Zecev” [Volume in Memory of Prof. Dr. T. Zecev] Sofia: Izdatelski centar “Bojan Penev”/Korporacija “Razvitie” KDA, 2004, 416 - 427.
- La confidence d’album chez A. Konstantinov et G. Bernanos. - “L’Europe, La France, les Balkans. Litt e ratures balkaniques et litt e ratures compar e es. Actes du colloque international bulgare-fran c ais” . Sofia/Arras: Editions de l’Institut d’Etudes balkaniques/Artois Presses Universit e , 2004, 239-247. / Etudes balkaniques, 2003/3, 239-247.
- Edin kriticeski debat za balgarskata religiozna poezija [A critical debate about the religious poetry in Bulgaria]. - “Ezikat i literaturata v epochata na globalizacijata” [The Language and the Literature in the Globalisation Era]. Sofia University Press, 2003, 108-117.
1992: The prize “Mlada Struga” awarded for best poem, recited by the author at the Poetical Festival “Struga Evenings” ( Macedonia)
MEMBERSHIPS OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
- Member-founder of the Foundation “Literature” at the Institute for Literary Studies ( Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia)
- Member-founder of ACCL („The Academic Circle of Comparative Literature“; ACCL is member of the International Comparative Literature Association; http://calic-bg.netfirms.com )